Insurance premiums for highly qualified specialists
In order to assess the amount of insurance payments, it is necessary to decide on status of a foreign national HQS in Russia. It can be either temporary staying or temporary/permanent residence.
1. If an HQS has a temporary staying status (i.e. HQS has entered the country and is staying within the territory of Russia on either visa or migration card basis, but he/she has not yet acquired a permanent residence status or a permit for temporary residence in Russia,) the employer shall pay insurance premiums for the following insurance events:
- industrial accidents and professional injury / disease*.
2. If HQS has temporary/permanent residence, the employer shall pay insurance premiums for the following insurance events:
- temporary disability or maternity leave
- compulsory pension insurance
- industrial accidents and professional injury / disease*
IMPORTANT - an employer is not obliged to pay for medical insurance regardless of HQS’s status (residence or staying) since according to migration service’s rules, HQS is required to have voluntary medical insurance or an opportunity to receive medical treatment in accordance with agreement, concluded with his employer and medical organization.
* – if HQS performs work under civil-law contract, the employer does not have to pay this type of insurance payments unless it is provided so expressly in the contract.